The Epson printer Error Code 0x97 is a particularly annoying one. Most often it occurs in the middle of the printing process; the printing is canceled and the error 0x97 is shown on the display. In rare cases, the error message appears after switching on.
Printer models from the Epson WorkForce series , such as the wf-3620, the wf-3640 or the wf-7610, are primarily affected by this Epson error . So the affected Epson printer models are usually those that are used in home offices as well as in small and medium-sized companies, where a printer error makes everyday work more difficult and leads to further problems.
We have researched for you how you can fix the printer error Epson 0x97 . We’ll introduce you to various methods that can work. Unfortunately, we have to admit in advance that experience has shown that in many cases the problems occur again during the next printing process.
Tip: If the Epson error 0x97 occurs within 6 months of the date of purchase, the best thing to do is to contact the dealer from whom you bought the printer with the problem. Of course, you can still try the following solutions and methods to get rid of the printer error!
What does the Epson error code 0x97 mean?
The crux of this error message: The error code indicates a hardware defect . For example, there may be a problem with the print head (clogged, dirty) or a serious hardware error in the electronics (logic board).
However, there are possible ways by which you may be able to print again (at least temporarily) if the fault is not with the motherboard, which controls all hardware components. In the event of such a hardware failure, only the service workshop can help; it can fix the problem by replacing the defective component.
Note: It is rumored among printer users that this error code should be viewed as planned obsolescence. Why? Because the error message often occurs after the warranty has expired. Other users want to have recognized that the error code usually occurs when printing around 1,200 pages. We neither want to nor can confirm an intentional act on the part of the manufacturer or the connection with the printing volume.
Due to the annoyance of the error message, however, such considerations on the part of printer users are quite understandable. In addition, repairs are usually expensive if you cannot make use of the warranty or guarantee. The repair is – unfortunately – often not economical. Which bothers us because of the waste of resources.
Whatever tests following solutions for Epson error 0x97.
Solution 1 Fix Epson Error Code 0x97 – Disconnect, Discharge, Connect Method
You should test this attempt to fix the Epson printer error 0x97 first:
- Turn off the printer (power switch!) And disconnect the power cord from the power (pull the plug).
- Now entnimmst you all cartridges from the unit.
- Press the power switch (power button), the printer must not be connected to the power! Hold the button for a few seconds . In this way, you discharge residual current in the device (keyword: capacitors).
- Reconnect the device to the power.
- Turn on your Epson printer.
- You will be asked to insert a cartridge, insert one, and close the door.
- You will be asked to insert another cartridge, insert that too and close the door.
- Repeat the process until all cartridges are inserted!
Now check whether the error code 0x97 has disappeared.
- If not, repeat steps 1-9 two or three times.
If after repeating these steps, you have no success, try the following approach to problem solving:
Solution 2 Fix Epson error 0x97 – method initiate printer
In this walkthrough, you will re-initiate the printer to get rid of the error code 0x97. It can be useful to call in a second person during the implementation. Important: It is essential that you keep the power button pressed while performing steps 4 and 5 !
- Switch off the printer (power switch!) And disconnect it from the power supply (pull the plug from the socket).
- Now removing you all the cables from the printer (power cord from the power and the unit and USB or other data cable from the printer and PC).
- Wait 5-10 minutes .
- Now you have to hold down the power button for at least 60 seconds and don’t let go of it afterwards !
- You continue to hold down the power button and plug the power cord back into the printer and the power outlet. Hold the power button for another minute! You never let go of the button!
- Now you can release the button, reconnect the USB cable or data cable and check whether the error code 0x97 has disappeared.
If it didn’t work, repeat the process 1-2 times.
If that didn’t work either, dedicate yourself to the next solution:
Solution 3 Fix Epson error 0x97 – method remove and clean printhead
As we already mentioned at the beginning, the print head can also trigger error 0x97. Therefore, you should take a look at this component.
Take the printer manual to hand and see how to remove the printhead.
Tips for removing the printhead:
- Switch off the device, disconnect it from the power supply and all USB connections.
- Wear disposable gloves because of possible ink residue that could land on your skin.
- Use caution and calm to avoid damaging any parts.
- Make a note of the order of the removed parts and place them as they need to be put back in.
- Make a note of which connection (printhead cable or carriage sensor cable) you have to plug into which connection – and the order.
In this video you can see how to remove the printhead on the Epson WorkForce WF-3640 and WF-3620. (The video is in English but the pictures speak for themselves.)
Instructions solution 3:
- You remove the printhead.
- Now carefully clean the printhead. You can read how to do this in our linked guide ” Cleaning the print head “.
- Also carefully clean the printhead slot with a lint-free cloth and a little rubbing alcohol, distilled water, or nozzle cleaner.
- Now put the printhead back in. You reinsert the cartridges one after the other as described under solution 1 (steps 6 – 8).
- Test whether the Epson error 0x97 has disappeared and you can print again.
Tip: You can read up on how to clean an Epson print head – and how it works best even with complex print heads – in the linked guide.
Clean your Epson printer
You already have the printer open when you remove the printhead. In this move, examine it for dirt on the inside such as dust, scraps of paper, scraps of adhesive tape etc. and remove them carefully, removing dust with a lint-free cloth. Also pay attention to the paper feed and the rollers, dirt can also have accumulated here, which you can get on the collar with a slightly dampened cloth. Attention: Let everything dry completely before you put the Epson printer back into operation!
By the way, it generally makes sense to clean your printer regularly . At least one cleaning of the printer housing once a week (dusting) should be given. You should check the inside of the printer housing for dirt and foreign bodies at least every time you change the cartridge.
If no method works – what then?
If none of the above solutions help and the Epson error 0x97 continues and reappears after a short time, you need professional support:
You can contact the retailer with the purchase receipt up to 6 months after the purchase. He is obliged to help you during this period due to the legal guarantee .
The Epson warranty is usually (as of 2020) one year. You can buy warranty extensions, which is particularly useful in a commercial or professional environment. Contact Epson support.
If the device falls out of warranty and guarantee, you can have the printer repaired . Get a cost estimate so that you can weigh up whether a repair is economical.
If you cannot have the Epson printer repaired, then offer it to workshops or hobbyists to make sensible use of the resources on site. You can also set it up on Internet marketplaces as a “defective printer to be cannibalized”.
Conclusion on the Epson error code 0x97
This error code indicates a problem with the hardware. There are several methods that can at least provide a short-term solution. Some printer users can then continue to use the device for a long time without any problems. Others report that the error code will reappear soon. If in doubt, the printer needs to be repaired.
Readers are also interested in these topics:
Epson Printer Error Code 0xF1 : How to Fix it